Bhubaneswar, Dec 11 (LocalWire) A day after Urjit Patel’s exit, the government on Tuesday named former finance secretary Shaktikanta Das as the new Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor. He is the first Odia to get this coveted post.
Here are 10 things you need to know about new RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das:
1. Shaktikanta Das was born on Feb 26, 1955 in Odisha.
2. He is a Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Master of Arts (MA) in history.
3. Das is a retired 1980 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Tamil Nadu cadre.
4. He has served as Principal Secretary(Industries), Special Commissioner (Revenue), Secretary (Revenue), Secretary (Commercial Taxes), project director of Tamil Nadu State AIDS Control Society and as the district magistrate and collector of Dindigul and Kancheepuram districts in the Tamil Nadu government.
5. He has been the Union Economic Affairs Secretary, Union Revenue Secretary, Union Fertilizers Secretary, special secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs of the Ministry of Finance and a joint secretary in the Department of Expenditure of the Ministry of Finance in the Indian government.
6. He was appointed the Union Revenue Secretary by the Prime Minister led-Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) in June 2014.
7. Das assumed the office of the Union Economic Affairs Secretary on Aug 31, 2016.
8. After he retired from his IAS job, Das was appointed as a member of the Fifteenth Finance Commission.
9. He was also made India’s representative at the Group of 20 summits.
10. He is the 25th Governor of the RBI and will serve a term of three years.