Bhubaneswar, Dec 1 (LocalWire) Rourkela MLA Dilip Ray has submitted his resignation from the Odisha assembly and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on moral grounds.
In an open letter, Ray said he quitted being unable to fulfill his promise to construct the second Brahamani bridge and upgrade Ispat General Hospital to a super-specialty one.
Here are 10 things you need to know about Dilip Ray:
1. Dilip Ray was born to Hrushikesh Ray and Kalyani Ray on Jan 9, 1954 in Odisha.
2. He did his matriculation from Raj Kumar College, Raipur in 1969 and graduation from St Joseph College, Darjeeling in 1974.
3. He got his law degree in 1976 from JCC College of Law, Kolkata.
4. Dilip Ray is a 1977-batch MBA from Academy of Management Science and Studies.
5. He made his political debut in 1982 as the chairman of the then Rourkela Notified Council.
6. Dilip Ray was elected twice from the Rourkela constituency. He served as an MLA between 1985-1990 and 1990-1995.
7. He had held several ministry portfolios, including Minister of State (MoS), Industries (Excluding Textiles & Handlooms), Union MoS (I/C) of the Ministry of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Union MoS (I/C) of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Union MoS (I/C) of the Ministry of Coal, Union MoS of Parliamentary Affairs, and Union MoS of Ministry of Steel.
8. Ray was nominated to the Rajya Sabha for the first time in 1996 and served two consecutive terms.
9. He is an avid traveller and has toured over 20 countries till date.
10. Ray is the Chairman and Managing Director of Mayfair Hotels & Resorts.