Bhubaneswar, Nov 28 (LocalWire): The Odisha government will expand the forensic science laboratory facilities to all the 36 police districts in the state.
Currently the state has 23 functional forensic science laboratories with the State Forensic Science Laboratory operating as the parent body in Bhubaneswar.
Steps are being taken to establish forensic units in 13 police districts.
LocalWire brings to you 12 facts regarding the forensic science and its utility in cracking major crimes:
1. While the state forensic science laboratory in Bhubaneswar operates as the apex wing, three regional forensic science laboratories function at Berhampur, Sambalpur and Balasore.
The forensic laboratory in the state police headquarters in Cuttack is one of the oldest in the country.
2. Laboratory practices and findings have helped solved major crimes including cases of rape and murder.
The foolproof forensic investigation leads to the increase in rate of conviction while ensuring impartiality and confidentiality.
3. It deals with ballistics by carrying out examination of firearms and ammunition.
4. The forensic laboratory tests carry out biological examination of various types of body fluids and tissues.
It comes in handy to solve heinous crimes like gang-rape and brutal murders.
5. The forensic laboratories are well equipped to conduct chemical and scientific test of a variety of exhibits like narcotic drugs, explosives, spurious drugs.
6.The services of these laboratories are much sought after in cracking IT crimes with the examination of digital evidences like computer hard disk, cellphones and memory devices.
7.The state forensic science laboratory is scientifically equipped to generate DNA profiles from various crime-related exhibits like blood, semen, saliva, hair, nail, bone, teeth and tissues.
8.The state laboratory also has scientific testing facility of polygraph or lie detection test of the suspects, complainants, witnesses and victims pertaining to various types of crimes.
9. The forensic laboratories have the technological knowhow to carry out physical examination of various types of physical evidence, such as soil, paint, glass, disputed voice and images.
10. It also deals with serological tests to determine species origin and the blood groups of various biological materials.
11. Toxicology forms an important component of forensic investigation. The laboratories carry out examination of viscera and other body tissues for the identification of poison.
12. The state forensic science laboratory in Bhubaneswar is initiating measures for online dispatch of chemical examination reports online to courts and other stakeholders for speeding the justice delivery system.