Berhampur, June 18 (LocalWire): Around 15 houses were burnt in a massive fire which broke out at Saradhapur village under Ganjam district’s Dharakote tehasil, about 50 kms from here today.
Although no casualty was reported, property worth around Rs five lakh was destroyed in the mishap.
A thatched house caught fire from the kitchen which spread fast to adjacent houses within a few minutes.
Fire tenders rushed to the village from Dharakote and doused the flames.
‘It took us four to five hours to bring the flames in control,’ said a fire fighter Binod Kumar Rout.
The district administration has sanctioned free kitchen for five days for the eight affected families.
‘Polythene sheets have also been provided to each family,’ said tehasildar, Dharakote, Gadadhara Patra. He said the district Red Cross would give Rs 10,000 to the families whose house was fully damaged and Rs 5,000 will be given to those families whose house was partially burnt.
The government would provide compensation after receiving the report from the revenue inspector.