Bhubaneswar, April 17 (LocalWire): People across the state paid tributes to former chief minister Biju Patnaik on his 22nd death anniversary today.
Remembering the legendary politician, leaders across party lines paid tributes to Biju Patnaik and recalled his contribution in building modern Odisha.
LocalWire collected some facts that one migh not be aware of Bijubabu
* Biju Patnaik’s full name is Bijaya Nanda Patnaik.
* Biju Babu was half-Bengali and half Odia as his mother Ashalata Devi was Bengali.
* He broke several Indian track and field records as a youth and was born into a princely family in Orissa on 5 March, 1916. He married Gyan Sethi, from a prominent Punjabi family. They had two sons, Prem and Naveen and one daughter.
* But not many people know that he was an avid bridge player too
* He helped the Soviet Army fight Hitler during the World War II and was honored by the Russians for his service on the 50th anniversary of World War II.
* Biju Patnaik christened the former President of Indonesia as ‘Megnawati’ that means goddess of clouds.
* Cycling was his hobby and he had cycled his way to the state secretariat against fuel price hike. During his student days he cycled to Peshawar in Pakistan to spread the message of humanity.
* He was one of the most popular politicians of Odisha, and was the Chief Minister of the state for seven years by serving the state twice from 1961 to 1963, when he was credited with steps that began its industrialization and again from 1990 to 1995.
*Patnaik was known by many names as the Kalinga Sandha or Bull of Kalinga and the Big Daddy of Indian Politics
* Bijubabu trained as a pilot at the Delhi Flying Club in the 1930’s and then found novel ways to put his skills to work for the freedom struggle
*After Independence, Biju Patnaik was widely credited with developing an industrial base in Orissa.