Bhubaneswar, Dec 1 (LocalWire) Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and former minister Bijoy Mohapatra has suddenly resigned from the party alleging negligence by his colleagues at national level.
Here is everything you need to know about Bijoy Mohapatra:
1. Bijoy Mohapatra was born Nov 7, 1950 at Talakusuma in Kendrapara district.
2. An alma mater of Utkal University, Mohapatra had his affiliations with several political parties including Nationalist Congress Party, Odisha Gana Parishad, Biju Janata Dal, Janata Dal, Janata Party and finally, BJP.
3. He served as Odisha Irrigation Minister from 1990 to 1995 as a part of the Biju Patnaik cabinet.
4. A four time MLA from Patkura Constituency of Kendrapara, he was elected consecutively in 1980, 1985, 1990 and 1995.
5. He has a degree in LLB (Bachelor of Legislative Law).
6. Mohapatra was one of the founding members of Biju Janata Dal (BJD) in 1997, after the death of Biju Patnaik.
7. However, he was expelled from the BJD before the 2000 Odisha Assembly elections. It was now chief minister Naveen Patnaik who denied him a ticket to contest from Patkura seat.
8. Mohapatra floated his own regional party Odisha Gana Parishad (OGP) in 2001 and formed an alliance with the Indian National Congress to fight the 2004 assembly polls.
9. He merged his OGP with Sharad Pawar’s Nationalist Congress Party (NCP). But when Pawar joined hands with the BJP before 2009 elections, Mohapatra resigned from the party and joined BJP.
10. He quit the BJP on Nov 30, 2018.