Bhubaneswar, Nov 27 (LocalWire) The Odisha Men’s Hockey World Cup 2018 kicked off with a gala opening ceremony on Tuesday evening.
Here are 10 things to know about the Hockey World Cup inauguration:
1. Inauguration of the 14th edition of Men’s Hockey World Cup kicked off around 6.30 pm with a laser show with drones and fire crackers at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar.
2. As soon as Odisha chief Minister Naveen Patnaik declared the tournament open, the stadium full of cheering audience witnessed a vibrant drone show with Hockey World Cup anthem ‘Jai Hind Hind, Jai India’, composed by AR Rahman and penned by Gulzar, being played in the background.
3. Addressing a massive crowd, Patnaik said: “I welcome all the international hockey teams, the distinguished delegates and the hockey officials to Odisha. You are the guests of 45 million Odia people.”
4. Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan soon took the centre stage and greeted the people in Odia saying, “Apana Mananku Bahut Bahut Dhanyabad, Mate Eithi Asibaku Sujog Deithibaru”.
5. Popular Bollywood actor Madhuri Dixit performed a fusion dance drama themed on “Earth” with around 800 school and college students.
6. Each participating country’s captain was present at the event, along with a child to promote the sport.
7. Veterans of the 1975 Hockey World Cup winning team were also present at the gala inauguration ceremony.
8. Music maestro AR Rahman arrived on stage to captivate the audience with his compositions, including ‘Dil Se’.
9. Welcoming all 16 teams of Hockey World Cup, Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted: “A warm welcome and best wishes to all teams participating in the Hockey Men’s World Cup 2018, being held in Odisha. I am sure this tournament will be a treat for sports lovers and will also be an opportunity to discover India’s and especially Odisha’s culture.”
10. A documentary on Odisha was also shown at the event, highlighting the state’s rich cultural heritage.