Balasore, November 14 (LocalWire): Panic has gripped people in Khantapara area after over 100 workers were taken ill due to Chlorine gas leak from a prawn processing plant here on Wednesday evening.
The affected workers, mostly women, and minor children were rushed to the nearest community health centre, and later shifted to the district headquarter hospital, where their condition is reported to be stable.
While the district administration has initiated a probe into the incident, the plant has been sealed and at least three officials of the company have been detained by police for questioning, sources stated.
“Although the exact reason for the accident is yet to be ascertained, the preliminary report suggests that overcharging of gas lead to the accident,” Balasore sub-collector Nilu Mohapara said.
According to sources, some of the workers of the seafood processing plant owned by Falcon marine experienced irritation following the gas leak, soon others complained of a similar feeling, and they were rushed to the hospital.
The Inspector general of police (Eastern range) Diptesh Pattnaik who visited the plant site, as well as hospital, said that a scientific team would be arriving for a probe and appropriate action would be taken according to the findings.
“A case has been registered in the matter and seven officials of the plant have been detained in this connection,” Pattnaik said.