Berhampur, Sept 15 (LocalWire): An 18-year-old boy died of electrocution after he came in contact with a livewire, suspected to have been laid by poachers at Chunapalli under Ganjam district’s Bhanjanagar police station limits in the wee hours of Sunday.
Shakti Pasayat of Bahadapadara village along with one of his friends was going to the nearby jungle to collect mushrooms when he got entangled in the livewire.
He was rushed to the sub-divisional hospital, where doctors declared him brought dead, police said.
A case was registered in Bhanjanagar police station and inquiry is on, police said.
This is not an an isolated case as poachers often lay livewires in the forest areas to kill wild animals like wild boar, blackbuck and even elephants.
Sometimes farmers also fence their crops with livewires to save it from marauding animals.
Five years ago, at least four elephants died of electrocution in different areas of the district.
Divisional forest officer of Ghumusar South, Satya Narayan Beura said forest personnel had seized wires and other equipments from the spot.