Bhubaneswar, September 25 (LocalWire): The state government on Tuesday approved a detail project report (DPR) worth Rs 700 crore under Rurban Mission for stimulating economic growth and basic civic services in identified rural areas.
The Rurban Mission aims to create urban facilities and economic opportunities in a cluster of villages while preserving the nature and essence of rural community life.
Announcing this Odisha chief secretary Asit Tripathy said that the main outcome of the intervention will be to bridge the rural-urban divide, enhance economic activities, and drive the overall development of the rural pockets.
According to sources, the state government has so far sanctioned projects worth Rs 400 crore for the development of five clusters under the mission.
These include Talabasanta Krushi Udyog cluster in Cuttack, Ranipada Parjyatana (tourism) cluster in Khurdha, Samantasingha Hastasilpa (handicraft) cluster in Jharsuguda, Utkela Banijya (business) cluster in Kalahandi, and Thakurmumda Jeevika (livelihood) cluster in Mayurbhanj.
Tripathy was presiding over the meeting of the State Empowered Committee in Lokseva Bhawan here that accorded the administration go-ahead to the project.
The chief secretary further directed that regular orientation and training programmes for the BDOs and field level officers should be conducted to keep them abreast with the new initiatives and best practices.
The state development commissioner Suresh Chandra Mohapatra directed to institutionalise a coordination mechanism among field functionaries of various departments at ground level for augmenting outcomes of the projects.
The meeting also resolved to recommend eight new clusters to the Ministry of Rural Development for inclusion under the mission.
The proposed clusters included Kalimela in Malkanguri district, Komna under Nuapada district, Kendujhar sadar, Mohana in Gajpati district, Puri sadar in Puri district, Danagadi under Jajapur district, Ulunda under Subarnapur district and Dhakauda under Sambalpur district.
The state government has estimated that Rs 650 crore will be required for rolling out the integrated action plan in these proposed clusters.
The projects under the Mission are being implemented through joint funding by the central and the state governments.
An integrated action plan is prepared after a thorough survey of the demographic features, economic activities, and productive skills available in an identified area. In general, a plan of around Rs 100 crore is prepared for a cluster in the non-tribal area and Rs 50 crore is prepared for a cluster of the tribal area.
Around 70% of the approved projects cost are met through the convergence of various ongoing central and state schemes, while the remaining 30% is covered using critical gap funding (CGF).
This CGF is shared on the basis of 60:40 ratios between the central and state governments.
The projects are implemented and coordinated through the Rurban Mission.
The major interventions include skill development activities, setting up mobile health units, upgrading of educational facilities, piped water supply, solid waste management, and sanitation.
It also includes setting up of e-gram centers, agro-processing services, storages, and warehousing, as well as the provision for street light, inter-village roads, and transportation facilities.