Berhampur, Dec 14 (LocalWire) As many as 87 girl students of Class VI to X of Tabarasingh Upgraded High School, near Ramagiri in Kandhamal district, reportedly fell sick due to food poisoning after having dinner at their hostel.
According to reports, all the students were immediately admitted to the district headquarters hospital, Paralakhemundi on Thursday night.
While 56 of them were discharged after treatment in the night, remaining 31 students were released on Friday after their condition improved, said district welfare officer (DWO) Gajapati Santosh Kumar Rath.
Rath said the students started vomiting and complained of giddiness after dinner.
“Medical staff have taken the samples of the food (rice and dalma) they consumed in the night. We can only surely tell it is a case of food poisoning after getting the lab reports,” he said.
Meanwhile, police has started an inquiry into the matter after welfare extension officer (WEO) Dayanidhi Nayak lodged an FIR.