Bhubaneswar, Jan 2 (LocalWire) Year 2019 is here and so is the new event’s calendar for Odisha.
Here are 10 things to watch out for in 2019:
1. Eyeing the 2019 General Elections, Prime Minister and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) strongman Narendra Modi is scheduled to visit Odisha twice in January.
He will be visiting the state on Jan 5 to to address a public meeting at Baripada in Mayurbhanj district. The second visit will be on Jan 16 when Modi attends a party convention – Swabhiman Samavesh – in Bolangir.
2. The Odisha Legislative Assembly elections are scheduled to be held this year. The polling and counting dates are yet to be announced. The ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) will go for a face-off with the BJP and Congress, with both rivals leaving no stones unturned to get public support in their favour.
3. Odisha steel and mines minister Prafulla Mallick said auction for 16 mines will be completed by March after getting required approval from the Centre.
4. For the first time, Odisha will host the International Conference on Aluminium (INCAL) from Jan 31 to Feb 3. The event, organised by Aluminium Association of India (AAI), under the aegis of Ministry of Mines, will bring international aluminium fraternity under one roof.
5. The Odisha government is scheduled to illuminate all streets across all towns with LED lights by May. A total of Rs 269.83 cr will be spent to electrify roads in 113 urban areas.
6. The Board of Secondary Education (BSE), Odisha has announced the annual High School Certificate (HSC) Examination-2019 will be held from Feb 22 to Mar 8. Meanwhile, the State Open School Certificate Examination-2019 will be held from Feb 22 to Mar 6.
7. The Council of Higher Secondary Education, Odisha announced the Higher Secondary exams will start from Mar 7 and end on Mar 30. Practical exams will be held from Jan 1 to Feb 2.
8. The Council for Higher Secondary Education (CHSE) said the Annual Plus II examination will be held from Mar 7 to Mar 30. Students will have to appear for practical/project from Jan 28 to Feb 8.
9. Sisir Saras, the 11-day annual handicrafts and rural products fair, will be held between Jan 4 and 14 at Exhibition Ground in Bhubaneswar. As many as 24 states will participate in the fair, organized by Odisha Rural Development and Marketing Society (ORMAS) under the aegis of Panchayati Raj Department of Odisha government.
10. Odisha will be a major battlefield for the 2019 Lok Sabha elections with both BJP and Congress trying to win the coastal state. The ruling BJD is confident of its mass popularity.
Meanwhile, Telangana Chief Minister K. Chandrashekhar Rao (KCR) is trying to win confidence and support of his Odisha counterpart Naveen Patnaik for a Third Front before the 2019 General Elections. The BJD supremo remained indecisive in a recent meeting with the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief.