Berhampur, September 2 (LocalWire): Migrant workers from Ganjam district working abroad continue to suffer due to one reason or another; the latest being the case of two labourers working in Congo who sent a distress video message seeking assistance for their safe return to India.
According to reports, Pintu Parida (24) of Bhikapada in Khallikote block and Sibaram Sahu (24) of Gudialli in Kabisurya Nagara block who were working in the central African country since four months are stranded without salary for a few months now.
Reacting to the message and based on the information, Ganjam district collector Vijay Amrut Kulange sent a letter to the state labour commissioner on Friday to intervene and ensure for repatriation of the duo from Congo.
In a video message shared through the social media, the duo alleged that they were staying in Congo in a condition similar to house arrest as the company authorities have taken away their visa and passports.
The duo wanted to return to their native place as soon as possible since there has been an outbreak of Ebola in the African country.
“We are worried about my son who had gone to Africa to earn more money,” Manjula Parida, mother of Pintu, said.
“We requested the government to repatriate my son as soon as possible due to the outbreak of deadly Ebola in Congo,” Alekh Sahu, father of Sibaram, stated.
According to the Chhatrapur district labour officer (DLO) Siba Narayan Sahoo, the department has conducted an inquiry in the matter with their family members and submitted its report to the labour commissioner through the district collector.
After undertaking 15 days training in plumbing in Visakhapatnam, the duo had taken up a job as a plumber with a company in the Democratic Republic of Congo on 2 May.
At that time of taking up the job, they were promised a salary of Rs 35,000 per month plus free accommodation. The recruiting company had charged them Rs 1.50 lakh each for the visa, flight tickets and other expenses, sources said.
However, their parent alleged that even after four months, the company had paid them only Rs 54,000 each, and have refused to return their passport so that they cannot return to their village.
Early this month, 18 migrant labourers of Ganjam district had returned from Dubai after the intervention of the state and the central government.
Similarly, two dead bodies had been brought from Dubai to their native villages in Khallikote block, after the government’s intervention.